Monday, December 26, 2011

Ignorance is bliss

Almost everyone has heard this statement "Ignorance is bliss" but hardly anyone truly understands the meaning of this simple sentence. I do. The readers with an eidetic memory might recall me mentioning the "price of wisdom" (or some similar words) here. I thought it better be explained with the help of an example.

This is one of the most beautiful books I have read, and it is, AAMOF, a love story. (Everyone I know who has read this book has really really loved it. Although my sis did not like the sequel that much. [That was expected, as this wasnt a true story here. Am yet to read it. And unlikely to, too.]) What happened to me when I read it, remains a disaster; and one I cannot remove.

It just so happens that all of the beauty of this novel lies in its amazing ending, which I would not spoil for you by revealing it; although you may as well google it if you want to ruin your reading experience too. What happened to me was that my sis had got this book far, far before I actually read it [It was almost and year ago] and she kept on telling about the great ending and all. So I just turned over to the ending and read the last few chapters of the book.

Then, when I actually was reading the book, I knew that I knew the ending. And for those who have read the book, they will understand why it was a terrible thing. But even if you havent read the book, you should be knowing that no book is good enough once you know the ending, and this one was a book on which this rule applied even more.

So finally in the end, my entire reading experience was completely ruined because I knew the ending. I knew how it was going to be. And I could do nothing about it to stop myself from knowing the ending. Not that such a thing has never happened to me before [Something similar happened when I read the Da Vinci Code after seeing it. That day, I thought to myself to always read the book before seeing the movie, if I intended to do both.], but I shall be regretting having known the ending of this book in particular.

My friends, life is like one big book. It always pays out for you to know what will happen to you the very next moment; but believe me, you are exchanging this "knowing" for the thrill and the exhilaration of living life. Trust me on this. I have known. Just live your life to the fullest, without any intentions to knwo what will happen. Its far better that way. Ignorance is truly bliss. And I hope you don't get to find that out yourself.

I tried to predict the road in order to cushion myself from its bumps. But then, I had lost the joy of travelling...

No comments:

Post a Comment