Sunday, August 14, 2011

IIT-K and friends

Had a long day today but in the end, all went well :)

Firstly, there was this science quiz held by some institute somewhere in Kolkata "ON A SUNDAY" (I mean who holds ANY competition on a Sunday. As it is, Science students are doomed to have all their sundays wasted. I dont remember how many times I have bunked movies on Sundays while the rest of my family goes to see them.) in which I was again selected by one of my teachers to participate.(Incidentally, my maths teacher and maths is, was and will be my life. Forever. Plus, I was also one of the favorites of my teacher and that helped too.) So I and another friend of mine were selected to go to the science quiz along with 2 more of the Class 12 guys (one year our senior) to represent our school in the quiz, whose winners would be going to IIT Kharagpur* for a day as an "educational trip". Well sort of. (Actually I am not sure what exactly this is, but I am sure its something related to going to IIT-K). Whatever it is, me and AP(the topper and my friend) were to go to the quiz.

But then, another one of my friends (Lets call him JS)# and yet another one of my friends (Lets call him VB)# had returned after 2 months from Kota^ for a week and so they had decided (but "accidentally" forgot to tell us.) that we would be going out for movie. WHich meant that we had to drop the quiz. Which I did not want to. So the quiz remained unchanged.

Or so I thought. It seemed that AP had removed his name from the quiz WITHOUT removing my name. Which meant that AP wasn't going for the quiz and was available for the movie but I was there in the quiz and so had to drop the movie. Again. (But this time it was with friends :( ) (This also meant that he was replaced with another class 12 guy)

So finally I prepared for the quiz (by preparation I mean very serious preparation. Which consists of telling mom to wake me up at 6'o clock and waking up at 7:30 instead) and tried my best to defer the movie plans till late, so I could join in.(It so happened that the movie was cancelled and all that was left was hanging out and ... well hanging out. You had a bit of MacD and some bowling too, but it was mainly hanging around.)

And so the day began. On quite a positive note. I was 20 minutes late to meet the other guys who were going with me(but they were 25 minutes late. :) True Indians, we people) and my plans for the movie were cancelled.(Or the hanging around, as you may call it) (So I did not even pack my casuals to wear as I was going in school uniform WHICH led to quite a bit of problems on its own, as you will see[or rather read] later on) With such a start, I set off for my day to some school near some Park.

And we reached there only 1 hour early.(Imagine that! That too after being 25 mins late! This is also ver well known as the Indian precautionary method to the Indian nature. We can sometime be ONLY 2 hours late but we can never be On time. Unless the time told to us is 2 hours earlier than the real time.) So walked around quite a bit. Saw the consulate of Zambia from outside (Yes. We also don't know where it is and we are also guessing it is a country in Africa) and just walked around, and made me and my friend go in circles(Pretended I knew the place around there and made us go here and there. Perfect way to kill time, unless you have Rajnikanth[Google him if you dare to ;) You may or may not find him there, but he will surely find you.] or Cyrus Broacha [Again a perfect murderer. ;) Am currently reading a book of his and I am dead already. Almost{This almost was just in case you were wondering if I were dead <Notice how its I "were" dead, when I is singular. Or rather I "am" singular>}]) until we were allowed to go in.

Then had the perfect quiz there. There were 40 questions and we could answer only 30.5(Later found out it was 28 :/) :D Surely we were in the top 15 teams who had got the chance to go to IIT-K and surely we were in the top 5 teams, who would be battling it out in the finals on stage.

Only there was ONE small problem. The finals were to be held 2 hours later at the same venue while there was a workshop some something and something else to be conducted till then. And I, by nature, am very restless. Only God (and the three guys beside me) know how restless I was. More restless than an electron in valence band. More than one in the valence somewhere in the Large Hadron Collider.

My seat could be tilted back but again it made a loud creaking sound while tilting back, which made sure everyone in the auditorium could hear it. And it wasn't possible to hold it tilted for long. Not for a thin person like me. So my back was aching and I just could not walk out nor could I be there. Only I stood (or rather sat) there, doing nothing. Except making a hundred stray remarks, texting everybody on my contact list and reading 50 pages of the book I had brought.(Again, how I stopped myself from laughing out loud in the auditorium remains another mystery)

Soon those 2 hours passed and The Moment Of Truth came. I was hoping we would come in the top 15. But God had something else on his mind. Instead, we were the top team there! :)

The on-stage rounds also happened somehow (I just hope not many people in the audience noticed the jumping boy in Team A. [You can't blame me for being overcharged, not with such good air-conditioning. Need to find out who invented the A.C. And kill him{If he is already dead, then i will have to bring him back alive and then kill him}]). Finally, we finished 3rd in the competition. :) Am satisfied with the way things went. :)

Then I decided to go to my friends who were still... well hanging out. And so I called up my sister for directions to the mall, who called up my mother, who called up my aunt, who was asleep. So my mother again called for my father (who had gone down somewhere and his phone was not reachable) who again asked one of our neighbour, who finally told me to take a cab.

Fifteen minutes later, I was in the mall. Well, almost. The problem this time was that I had not brought any casuals and the mall "strictly" did not allow ANYONE in school uniform. Which again meant the better part (or rather the whole of) the next hour and a half went to convincing the security guard that I had not run away from or bunked school to come to the mall. But they simply said "rules are rules". (I'm sure whoever made these rules had a very rough childhood and also had to go to school on Sundays also. Poor chap!)

And so after umpteen attempts and plans (which included bringing a T-shirt from someone who lived closeby. [By someone, I include our group, our brothers, sisters, uncles, aunts, friends, neighbours and neighbours of friends] Unfortunately the closest was 30 mins away.[I'm sure all the other malls in every other city are also built in some desolate road, hours away from any human habitation]. Other plans included buying a new T-shirt from the mall [which was cancelled at the last moment] and sneaking in from some other gate[which I refused to do]), they finally got the food packed from MacD and we had our food in some other restaurant (It would be a shame to call it restaurant) outside the mall. Had some fun with friends. Okay. Had a lot of fun with my friends.

And basically that was it. Had fun and went home. Now tomorrow is Independence day and will be attending it in school for the first time ever, just to be with friends. Luv you guys :*

Anyways, that was it for today. Hope you enjoyed reading it. If you did, (or even if you did not), just share this blog.

See ya later (Or rather write to ya later)

The Original Soni
14th of August,2011 (looks so cool to write the date in full format. :P )

____________________________________________________________________

*IIT are the top engineering colleges in India, with Kharagpur(the nearest to Kolkata) being 5th best. Or somewhere around there.(The blog is about me, the last time I checked it. So I guess I can take this much liberty in labelling IIT-K 5th instead of 4th or 4 and a half.)

# I am sure I will be dead by the time either of them reads this, which they should be reading.(The letters are not exactly their initials. ;) Hope you understand) So my last wish will be to....(well lets leave it till then..)

^Kota again is a city somewhere in India(I'm still trying to figure out where) which has all the top coaching centres for Science. In short it is a place filled with students, tuition centres and .....well more students.(not to forget malls, restaurants, hostels, dummy schools and paying guests.[As if the entire country has been in one city])

4 comments:

  1. well, dear "The Original Soni", to be very true, i really luvd it and m nt goin 2 do nethng(ref. 2 d "#")...
    It's really nyc of u 2 keep updating ur blogs wid dese small little memories...
    Do continue updating ur blogs so dat our memories don't "GET LOST"...:P:)
    *super lyks*

    ReplyDelete
  2. @Snayu - Thank you for not killing me ;)

    And yeah. Thanks for thy comments too.

    *High five* and "I'll kill you"

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice blog you have got here. That you have the patience to post such long articles is nice again. BTW, do post about your recent experiences which I am sure were fun-filled :D

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thnx.

    And yaa. Be prepared. I will be posting about them. And much more ;)

    ReplyDelete