Friday, May 11, 2012

In fond memory

This one is in fond memory of my recently deceased un-named E63. I have had many fond memories with him, and he shall forever be a part of me, though not my junk collection. He was truly one unbeatable and unmatched cell phone who had his warranty life snatched away from him by a sad mishap. E63, you shall remain forever in my blog and its memories...

Let us now all have a minute of silence for him.

Grant him eternal battery O Lord, and let perpetual network shine upon him. And may his SIM rest in peace.

Here is one of his quirky pranks, not long before he passed away. (This happened right after a phone call)-

 


__________________________________________________________________

This is an essay I had written on "The value of a sense of humour" as part of a test. It was probably the first time in years that I had ot written a story as my essay, in part due to the bad story topics, and the lack of time... My teacher gave me 65% (3 on 5), calling the essay mundane. Out of 5 boys I showed this essay to, 4 found it great. The fifth also found it mundane, though I suspect he never read it even. (He himself said he doesn't like reading, so i guess I can count him out.) 

Please do read it and leave your feedback on how it is. Happy reading!!!

Every morning, even before I get up, I hear some people laughing loudly in the distance. The sound comes from the building just next to ours, most probably from the terrace. As several of my "late-night" studies have told me, this happens regularly at exactly around 4 in the morning. "Maybe they are catching the repeat telecast of Mr. Bean", I mumble to myself before I go to sleep.

I have often found myself at the wrong end of many jokes. Some of the times, I find myself on the right end too. But I don't mind it. Of course I will not mind the latter, but I do not mind the former either. "After all, it’s just (as they say) a joke." And this sentence often leaves me to wonder, "What exactly is a joke?"

Being a person of science, i would try to succinctly explain joke and humour as being caused by "the knowledge or ignorance of certain facts, incidents, people or nicknames". But I know this sentence means nothing to me. It means nothing to anybody, as a matter of fact. All this sentence might be able to do will be to confuse the person listening to me, resulting in extra mockery and jeering towards me. Which again leaves me in a paradox, for I did not answer my primary question - "What is a joke and what is sense of humour?"

Perhaps it is not as easy to explain such things as to understand and experience them. Just like love (Now again, the fact that I have compared love to sense of humour in such a way itself sounds funny to me. But then, "as they say", I have a weird sense of humour.) Many a light moment has been shared at the expense of one or our companions, or, more likely to be, our teachers. Many a person has fallen helpless with laughter just repeating a simple joke. And many a person has become the butt of the joke for his inability to understand the joke.

Whatever it may be, we all find one thing or the other "funnny" (as a friend of mine would pronounce.) And we all like laughing, even if it is over the silliest thing in the world. Some giggle (rather very sweetly too), while some laugh like the "Gabbar Singh" from Sholay. However it may come out of us, we all laugh. Ergo, we all have some sense of humour (If the word 'ergo' sounds Latin, it is because it actually is a Latin word).

Sense of humour, as we know it, develops rather interestingly in a person. Many a time I have tries to force a smile at a very silly joke said by a junior. Many a times I have been reprimanded or punished for some very hilarious words and pranks. And many a joke I played once upon a time sounds just puerile. (Although some of it is still very hilarious.) I don’t know what causes this sense of humour to arise in a person, but I believe it is there in everybody. (Except "some" of our teachers) In one form or the other, it is there in everybody. Should be.

A light moment, some fond memories, many fond memories, a stomach ache, a tear or two - that's what this sense of humour gives us. Well, frankly speaking, it also leads us to trouble - more often than not. But we all love that, don't we? After all, it's something to boast over to our friends and juniors. But then again, from a very scientific point of view, there is no particular "use" of this quality (if we may call it one). It doesn't even have proof to exist in the first place (For all we know, some alien beings may be trying to eat up our brains, and we laugh as a response to whenever they reach one of the cranial nodes [This hypothesis actually makes sense!]) But it is still universally appreciated.

A human behavioural response that occurs due to no particular reason universally but is still regarded by all as necessary. I think I'll just chuckle at that, for human behaviour will continue to baffle me.

Thats all for today. Will be posting a few more things soon.... Till then, enjoy!!! And cheers!!!

The Original Soni
11th of May 2012

3 comments:

  1. U can write far better....
    this was well below ur own standards...(wen compared to ur previous writings)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Agreed. But at that time, I was not in the mood for writing. Kuch strike nai kar raha tha, and I was very concerned about the time. The story topics were too restrictive for me, and so I just went for the flow of the moment and tried to something I would love writing, and not something that would be good. When it was finished, I knew I had a "Time-pass" article. But I was satisfied.

      It was only when AP said it was very good, that I thought if it was actually good.

      Delete
  2. We are Anonymous. We are Legion. We do not forgive. We do not forget. Expect us.

    ReplyDelete