Friday, December 7, 2012

Entry 3


ENTRY 3 – 13th November 2012.

Today is apparently the ‘Festival of Lights’ here- Diwali. The victory of good over evil, truth over deceptiveness, righteousness over unrighteousness.  While the world celebrates the festival of lights, I here try to find my own section of solace in the Darkness. The truth is, I always have been much more comfortable with the dark than the light. But apparently, my basic right to switch off the lights has been suspended for one night, leaving me no option but to weak sunglasses over my eyes, lest I should be blinded by what I see.

While the world celebrates good, it’s certainly puzzling how they have managed to not figure out one basic thing – Everything in the world brings into existence its own opposition. Good would never have been good without evil. It would become so common that nobody would ever know it was there. It certainly doesn’t mean that evil is good, but evil may not be so evil either. Especially when we try to look through the looking glass into what’s evil and what’s good.

Having worn no glasses in my life before without having a headache throughout half the movie, these glasses sure are heavy for me. But the keep all the dazzle and daze away from my eyes, allowing me to see things in a much more barer form. Things are what they are, not exaggerated by looks, nor underappreciated by the dullness of colour. It may not give the best view, but it certainly allows a lot more clearer view deep inside what we perceive as bright and care and dare not to go deep into.
Of course, there is one major drawback with wearing these sunglasses. Nothing I see is in true colour. Every little thing in the world is tinted with a mix of other colours, as if I am seeing things through someone else’s eyes.  The true colour, is always hidden on the other side of the glasses, not open to my eyes until I finally take them off. I find it quite discomforting after a while, prompting me to take them off.

And that’s when things start to go a little bit off. Even after I have taken off the glasses, things look a bit off from reality. It simply isn’t what it looks like. The feel of the glasses is still on my nose and ears, even though my brain knows its off already. Actually it’s only my brain which makes me believe that I have no glasses on my eyes. Is this really the short aftermaths of wearing the glasses for some time, or was I suffering from the aftermath while I was feeling uncomfortable when these glasses were on? I do not know. All I know is that not both of these views are true. Maybe neither of them is. But I would have never even imagined there to be a second possibility of reality had I not seen it for myself.

It is in this queer quandary that I think to myself and my life in the recent path. What have I been doing, and what am I going to do? There is something about the story when you are wearing the glass, and when you are not. We scarcely believe the Macbeth’s stupidity at not having seen his ruin coming forth. We scarcely believe anyone could be this stupid to not see it coming. But were we in his place, would we have seen it coming? I doubt it. There is just something about the glasses we put on when we are “in the situation”. Certain things become clearer that way. Others, when we see the big picture.

What we need to see is not just “Who is wearing the glasses?” but “How many are?” Surely the villains in our stories and even our lives were not aware of what they were doing or whether they were actually evil or how many chances are left for them, or whether they have already lost to life. But were they the only ones wearing glasses. By telling ourselves that they were evil and we were good, are we not trying to fool ourselves? Nobody is good or evil. Everyone is good and evil. Then how do we go about labelling some people as good, and others as evil? More so, are they actually evil in the first place? If you ask Raavan, maybe he would have a different version of the story that we already know. Which one of the realities are true? Are there any realities which are true at all? Maybe none of them are true. Maybe all of them are.

No comments:

Post a Comment